Monday, August 25, 2014

Ohio Star Baby Quilt


It took a little longer than I expected, but I'm finished with the Ohio Star baby quilt!  I wanted to do something with the quilt blocks that was traditional, but different .... something a little more modern.  So, I made different sized star blocks and interspersed them with various sizes of solid fabric blocks.  Here's how I did it .....

I decided on what size blocks I wanted to make - 9 inch, 6 inch, and 4.5 inch.  I taped together two pieces of graph paper and cut it to equal the size of quilt I wanted (36 x 54 inches) - having one square equal one inch.  I decided I wanted a border of 4 x 2 inch rectangles so I drew that in on my graph.  After several tries of drawing the star blocks in and erasing each time they didn't work out where I put them, I finally got smart and made separate star blocks in each of the three sizes I planned on using.  I put tape on the back of each and could move them around until I got a layout I liked.  I then divided the remaining space into solid blocks of various sizes.





For this quilt I used about 1 1/2 fat quarter packs of Winter Northwoods Artisan Batiks from The Fat Quarter Shop.  I found one of the fabrics by the yard and used that for the backing and the binding and also added in a snowy fabric to give me another choice for light colored fabric.  I had a lot of fun making the squares and deciding which fabrics to use where!  I definitely need to do another quilt this way!  See this past post for how to make an Ohio Star square.  For the various solid rectangles, I cut them the size I needed and added 1/4 inch on each side as a seam allowance.

After sewing the quilt top together, I quilted it in loopy free motion quilting, 


trimmed, it and added on the binding.  See these past posts for bias tape and quilting basics.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment: