Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Inspiration - World War One Era Fashions

Sitting here recovering from the flu (at least with a flu shot it was tamped down from its usual full fury), I had lots of time on my hands.  I didn't have enough energy to do much, though, so I finished all three seasons of Downton Abbey - and I am in love with the fashions!  I love the lace, pintucks, embroidery .... the elegance of women's clothing as it moved from Edwardian fashions to the 1920's.  While it would be lots of fun to wear the actual clothes, I really don't want to look like I'm on my way to a costume party, so I've been looking for patterns I can tweak - with lace, pintucks, and embroidery!  Something that would add more elegance to my usual wear ... hmm, which is usually ice dyed t's!

Folkways Armistice Blouse looks like an exact match for one of the blouses Lady Mary wears - and one of my favorites.  Since I don't like to tuck my shirts in, I think I would alter it to hang down loosely.  And I like the shorter sleeves.


And Simplicity #1779 looks like it would work as a great base for several tops - lace collared like the one worn by Lady Edith and a blouse with lots of room for embroidery like this one worn by Lady Sybil.


Finally, I love the layered tea dresses!  And I think I might be able to pull it off if the top was layered over leggings instead of a skirt ....  Past Patterns has something that looks perfect.


Now I'm ready to get to work ... just as soon as I can get off this couch!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment