Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday Inspiration - The Silk Museum

It's hard to imagine that I'll ever find myself in Lebanon (the country, not the various US towns), but if I do I'll definitely be visiting The Silk Museum located in Bsous in an old silk factory.  Just browsing through their website is lots of fun and very informative.  Most of what I know about the history of silk is from the Asia region, but silk also has a long history in other parts of the world, such as the Middle East.  

The museum site has photos of past exhibitions, so be sure to take a look.  Some highlights:

This richly embroidered piece from last year's Gold and Silk Exhibition of Caucasian and Ottoman Embroideries.



This gorgeous rug must have such a history to tell.  It's from 2004's exhibit, An Orient of Silk and Gold - The Treasures of the Antaki Family.




I'm amazed by this intricate embroidery and would love to see it in person.  It was part of the 2001 workshop, Ainsi-Soie-t-elle.




Happy Creating!  Deborah


 

No comments:

Post a Comment