Friday, November 18, 2011

Rocks

I know - a weird title for a fiber art blog post!  However .... I've always been fascinated with rocks.  I'm sure my toddler pockets must've been crammed with them - I know my adult pockets often are.  Where ever I go, I return with new rocks.  They work like scrapbook pages for me. 



A desert hike years ago when we used to escape the Northwest for Phoenix's warm and dry springs, 






exploring the lava field of an extinct volcano when the boys were preschoolers, 








long walks along the Yellowstone River before the boys even were . . . 






I get inspiration from their colors, patterns, and textures.  


So when I started finding rocks made from fibers, I was interested - and began collecting photos and web addresses.  When I looked at the links again this week, I began to get ideas ... nothing I can work on until after the holidays, but maybe you'll be inspired too.



I love Ronale Jordaan's felted pebbles and rocks.  How cool would it be to have a throw rug or bath mat in this style?  









And Lisa Jordan's lichen covered actual rocks.  I'm also fascinated with mosses and lichens.  And love that these are rocks Lisa collected on walks in the woods and along shore lines.



Mary Beth of Salt and Chocolate created these bean bag rocks for her children.  I really like their simplicity.  And having collected rocks with many toddler nieces and nephews, I like that connection.






Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment